skip to main content



  • There is a button below for Local Scholarship and one for National Scholarships. Click a button to take you to the list of scholarships updated throughout the year.  
  • Begin your search early and start collecting the pieces of information you will need for your applications: essay about yourself, high school transcript, recommendation letters from teachers, etc., resume of honors and activities and awards. Update your information as needed.
  • Send your completed application to the address listed on the application and be sure to adhere to the organization's deadline. SCHS does not collect scholarhsip applications unless otherwise noted.  
  • If the organization requires an official transcript you need to order it through and have it sent to you.
  • Be sure to give yourself time to have the official transcript sent to you.  Keep the official transcript sealed and attach to your scholarship application. 
  • Note that many (though not all) of the Local Scholarships are presented at the SCHS Senior Awards Ceremony in May. National scholarships are generally not recognized at the SCHS Senior Awards Ceremony.  
Scholarships are free money! Some scholarships go unclaimed, so be sure to apply to as many as you can. 
What are the different typs of financial aid? 

What are the different typs of financial aid? 

Federal Aid: Aid that comes from the U.S. federal government.  Usually distributed through the college. 

Gift Aid: Financial aid that does not need to be paid back:

Grants: Typically based on financial need

Scholarships: Typically based on achievement or talent. Does not need to be paid back. 

Loans: Funds that must be paid back later, with interest.  Federally-guaranteed loans can be from a private lender (e.g. a bank) or from the federal government (administered by the college). Private loans are offered by private lenders with terms set by the lender, not the government.

Private Aid: Financial aid from non-government sources.

Pell Grant: Gift aid that is given based on financial need. How much aid you will be eligible to receive is based on your EFC (Expected Family Contribution), which is determined when you complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
Cal Grants: are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) to undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need and academic achievement which is measured by GPA's and scoring criteria.  visit for information.
Federal Work-Study:  Provides part-time employment for students who have financial need.  Jobs are usually available both on or off campus.  Work study is also determined by FAFSA.
Perkins Loan:  Fixed low interest loan through your college.  You must demonstrate financial need.
Stafford Loan Currently a variable interest rate loan.  You can receive this loan from a private lender or your college.  They can be subsidized (no interest accrues while enrolled full-time in school) or unsubsidized (interest accrues while in school.)
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are awarded to student who demonstrate exceptional financial need and are Pell Grant recipients.
California Community College Promise Grant waives per-unit enrollment fees for financially qualified California residents.
The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. 

Cal Kids gives California children a jump start on saving for college or career training.